Confession: I adore egg rolls. However, I’ve been trying to be more intentional about eating right and while I’ve tried a variety of healthier ways to make egg rolls the truth of the matter is, if I want to keep the carbs low I’ve got to ditch that crispy outer shell. At first I thought this meant that I just wouldn’t want any variety of this favorite dish but after a little experimentation, I discovered that I can make easy Shrimp Egg Roll Bowls that are so delicious I don’t even miss the crunchy outer shell!
These easy Shrimp Egg Roll Bowls take all the flavors of egg rolls and upwrap them to create a quick and easy dinner dish that’s bursting with flavor and packed with good veggies! Let’s make them!
- 1 pound of shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 1 large sweet onion
- 1 head of green cabbage
- 1 head of purple cabbage
- ½ cup of matchstick carrots
- ½ cup of water chestnuts
- ½ cup of bamboo shoots
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons of garlic flavored rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon of fresh grated ginger
- ½ cup of light soy sauce
- 1 and ½ tablespoons of hoisin sauce
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Chopped green onions for garnish
- Cook the shrimp in a saute pan just long enough for them to turn pink (about 4 minutes).
- Remove the shrimp from the pan and set them aside.
- Add the sesame oil and rice vinegar to a saute pan and add the onions.
- Cook the onions until they are translucent.
- Pour in the garlic, ginger, soy sauce, hoisin sauce and salt and pepper and stir.
- Immediately add the carrots, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots and both types of cabbage.
- Stir all the ingredients together, cover and cook for 3 minutes, just long enough to soften the vegetables.
- Pour the shrimp back in and mix everything together well.
- Cook for another 3-5 minutes on low and then serve with green onions sprinkled on top.
This Shrimp Egg Roll Bowl recipe is perfect for busy weeknights and is so easy to make. To start, I added my peeled and deveined shrimp to a saute pan and cooked them just long enough for them to turn pink. While my shrimp were cooking, I use a slicer to slice both my types of cabbage into thick slices and set the aside.
After removing the shrimp from my pan and setting them aside, I added my sesame oil and rice vinegar to my pan and them immediately added my onions.
I cooked this mixture until my onions became translucent. Once that happened, I immediately poured in my garlic, ginger, soy sauce, hoisin sauce and salt and pepper and mixed it together. Then I immediately added my carrots, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots and both types of cabbage.
I stirred the mixture together and the covered it, cooking it on medium for about 3 minutes. My goal was to cook the veggies but to still keep them crunchy. As soon as my veggies were slightly softened, I removed the lid and added my shrimp back in.
After stirring everything together, I continued to heat my Shrimp Egg Roll Bowls for 3-5 minutes to get everything evenly cooked. Then I removed it from the heat, spooned the mixture into bowls and sprinkled green onions over the top.
My Shrimp Egg Roll Bowls were served immediately and they were a huge hit! With all the flavors of egg roll stuffing and tons of plump shrimp, every bite was delicious.
As an added bonus, this recipes makes enough for leftovers. Simple store the remainder in an airtight container in the refrigerator and then heat in a saute pan later in the week for a bonus Shrimp Egg Roll Bowl meal.
Now tell me, will you be adding this Shrimp Egg Roll Bowls recipe to this week’s meal plan?