Meatloaf is a staple in my house. It’s quick and easy and fills my guys up which make it perfect for any night of the week. While I make meatloaf in a variety of ways and using a variety of meats (turkey, sausage, hamburger), I’m currently in love with my recipe for Sweet and Smoky Meatloaf that has a hint of brown sugar and a deep smoky flavor that’s always delicious.
This onion-free version of sweet and spicy meatloaf is perfect for busy weeknights and I even like to cook fingerling potatoes with it because I end up with a complete dinner that’s sure to satisfy my family. Here’s how I make it.
- 2 pounds of ground hamburger
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup of Italian bread crumbs
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup Worstershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Diced green onions for garnish
- Add the hamburger, eggs, bread crumbs, ¼ cup of ketchup, ¼ cup of Worstershire sauce, 1 tablespoon liquid smoke and the seasonings to a bowl.
- Using your hand combine well.
- Transfer the mixture into a loaf pan.
- Mix together the remaining ketchup, Worstershire sauce, liquid smoke and the brown sugar.
- Pour the mixture over the top of the meatloaf.
- Cook on 350 degrees for one hour.
- Remove from the oven and top with diced green onions.
To start this sweet and smoky meatloaf, I add my ground hamburger meat, eggs, Italian bread crumbs, 1/4 cup of ketchup, 1/4 cup of Worstershire sauce, 1 tablespoon of liquid smoke and the seasonings to a mixing bowl. Using my hands, I combined all the ingredients well (my little guy helped me on this step).
Once my meatloaf mixture was ready, I transferred it to a loaf pan, pushing it down gently to fill the pan.
With my meat mixture in the pan, I cleaned out my mixing bowl and added the remainder of my ketchup, Worstershire sauce, liquid smoke and all of my brown sugar. The I simply stirred it together until I had a creamy consistency. I immediately poured the mixture over the top of my sweet and smoky meatloaf.
Next, I transferred my sweet and smoky meatloaf to a foil lined baking sheet and tossed some fingerling potatoes in olive oil and seas salt. After spreading the potatoes around my meat loaf pan, I put everything in the oven on 350 degrees for one hour.
When my dish came out, both my sweet and smoky meatloaf and my fingerling potatoes were cooked to perfection. All I had to do to serve up dinner was remove my sweet and smoky meatloaf from the pan, slice it and garnish it with green onions and then pair it with a fresh salad and my perfectly cooked potatoes.
This easy weeknight meal has definitely become a favorite dish in my family and I love the ability to make a flavorful dinner in a pinch that everyone adores. I hope you will give this sweet and smoky meatloaf a try yourself.