Living at the coast for the summer means that we’re enjoying lots of meals outdoors with friends and family. Picnics and cookouts seem to pop up in minutes and as the hostess with the mostess, it’s always my mission to serve up the best dishes, the most creative snacks and of course the most drool-worthy desserts. However, this summer I’ve learned to keep it simple and whip up delightful creations that use a few simply shortcuts and save time. Whether you’re already planning to entertain, want a quick sweet treat that is sure to impress or simply want to add an easy dessert recipe to your recipe box for times when unexpected guests arrive, you’re going to love my Five Ingredient Boston Cream Puff Layered Cake.
I’m not even kidding when I say that this five ingredient Boston Cream Puff Layered Cake is so easy to make and it’s also crazy delicious! As an added bonus, it refrigerates well so it can be made ahead. But perhaps the best part of this easy recipe is the fact that it only requires five easy ingredients that you can easily keep on hand this summer so that no matter who shows up, you’re ready to whip up an impressive dessert that they will think took hours. Here’s how to make it.
- 2 sheets of puff pastry
- 1 5.1 ounce box of Instant Vanilla pudding
- 1 and ½ cups of cold milk
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 1 and ½ cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Bake the puff pasty sheets according to the directions on the package.
- Cool and then cut through the center to create two full layers of puff pasty from each sheet.
- Add the vanilla pudding and milk to a bowl and beat until thick.
- Add 1 and ¾ cups of heavy cream to a second bowl and beat until peaks form.
- Mix the whipped cream in with the vanilla pudding. Set aside.
- Add the semi-sweet chocolate chips to a bowl with 4 tablespoons of heavy cream and microwave for 30 seconds.
- Stir until the chocolate mixture is smooth.
- Place one of the layers of puff pastry on a dish.
- Top with ¼ of the vanilla pudding mixture.
- Add ¼ of the chocolate ganche on top, spreading it out evenly.
- Add a second layer of puff pasty.
- Repeat this process with all four layers.
- Using a piping bag, pipe the remaining vanilla pudding and chocolate ganache over the top of the cake.
- Chill until serving.
To start my five ingredient Boston Cream Puff Layered Cake, I cooked both of my puff pasty sheets according to the directions on the package. As soon as they were cooked, I removed them from the oven, allowed them to cool completely and then split them in half by running a knife along the seams all the way around the puff pasty. I was left with four (thinner) full puff pastry layers. Once my layers were prepared, I added my vanilla pudding and milk to a bowl and beat it using a mixer until it was thick and smooth. As soon as my vanilla pudding was ready, I added 1 and 3/4 cups of heavy cream to a second bowl and used my mixer to beat it until peaks formed. I then immediately mixed my fresh whipped cream in with my vanilla pudding and set it aside.
I was almost ready to start assembling my five ingredient Boston Cream Puff Layered Cake. All that was left was to create my chocolate ganache and doing that was super simple. I added my semi-sweet chocolate chips and four tablespoons of heavy cream to a bowl and microwaved it for 30 seconds. Then I simply stirred it until it was smooth. As soon as my chocolate was ready, I started assembling this easy dessert. First, I laid one of the puff pastry layers on a serving dish. Then I spooned on one fourth of my vanilla pudding mixture.
Next, I added on fourth of the chocolate mixture and smoothed it over the vanilla pudding.
I repeated this process for the rest of my layers, putting a layer of puff pastry, a layer of vanilla pudding and a layer of chocolate until I was ready to place my fourth and final layer on the top of my five ingredient Boston Cream Puff Layered Cake. With my top piece in place, I added the remaining vanilla pudding and chocolate ganache to two piping bags and piped them in lines over the top.
Not only did this simple dessert look fantastic but you could see the layers of delicious vanilla pudding and chocolate spilling out between each of the puff pasty layers, ensuring that there was tons of flavor in every bite.
As I cut into my five ingredient Boston Cream Puff Layered Cake, I was rewarded with flaky layers of puff pastry, creamy vanilla pudding and slightly sweet chocolate that made this a dessert-lover’s dream.
From adults to kids to every age in between, trust me when I say this five ingredient Boston Cream Puff Layered Cake is a hit with any age.
Whether you make it for your family or make it for a cookout or picnic, I hope you’ll try this simple dessert recipe that is sure to satisfy and impress!
Tell me, who do you know that would swoon over this easy five ingredient Boston Cream Puff Layered Cake?