Over the last few weeks, I’ve been experimenting with different ways to cook some of our favorite foods. It’s no secret that I live a pretty low-carb lifestyle and so, understandably, we get into the rut of eating protein and veggies every night for dinner. However, it gets old fast and keeps me looking for ways to spice up dinner time. This past weekend, I was at a restaurant that served up lettuce tacos that had an Asian twist and it got me to thinking. With just a little planning, less cooking time and a few flavorful ingredients, I was able to create Low-Carb Asian Lettuce Tacos with Shrimp that are absolutely drool-worthy! Whether you’re low-carb, want to add a flavorful meal to your weekly meal plan or just love a meal with an Asian inspired twist, read on to learn how to make the Low-Carb Asian Lettuce Tacos with Shrimp.
- 24 pieces of living lettuce (washed and dried)
- ½ of a head of purple cabbage (shredded)
- 1 tablespoon of rice wine vinegar
- 1 pound of raw shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 1 teaspoon of lemon
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- ½ cup of prepared seaweed salad
- 1 and ½ tablespoons of wasabi sauce
- Sesame seeds
- Cook the shrimp until it is pink and slightly firm. Pour in the lemon and sea salt and stir.
- Lay out two pieces of living lettuce per taco, large ends out to make a boat shape.
- Mix together the purple cabbage and rice wine vinegar and divide the mixture between the lettuce tacos.
- Top each lettuce taco with shrimp.
- Add a spoonful of seaweed salad to the top of the shrimp.
- Garnish with wasabi sauce and sesame seeds.
These Low-Carb Asian Lettuce Tacos with Shrimp are so simple to make and I’m not kidding at all when I say they are so flavorful and delicious. To start, I added my raw shrimp to a pan and cooked them on low heat until they had all turned pink.
After adding in my lemon juice and sea salt, I set my shrimp aside. Then I mixed together my shredded purple cabbage and rice wine vinegar. After laying out two leaves of lettuce per lettuce taco (face the broad ends o the lettuce away from each other to form a boat shape), I added a spoon of my purple cabbage to each one.
Next, my shrimp went in. If you’re using jumbo shrimp like I did, you’ll only need about two for each of the Asian Lettuce Tacos however, you can also use smaller shrimp and add more.
I topped my shrimp with a spoon full of my prepared seaweed salad (I buy this already made) and then drizzled my wasabi sauce on top and sprinkled on some sesame seeds.
This combination of flavors and textures is so perfect in this dish and with each bite, you get the salty shrimp, the freshness of the lettuce and purple cabbage, the crunch of the seasweed salad and the unexpected heat of the wasabi sauce. It’s seriously a dish that will have everyone begging for seconds!
These Low-Carb Asian Lettuce Tacos with Shrimp are a perfect finger food to enjoy at lunch, dinner or anytime and you won’t even have to feel guilty about eating them since they are low-carb deliciousness at it’s best!
Tell me, will you be adding this easy meal to your weekly low-carb meal plan?