It’s no secret that I’m on a low-carb jag right now. However, my family is not. That means that I need to come up with meals that they enjoy and that I can easily transform with a low-carb twist. Anybody who know me knows that Mexican food is my thing so lately I’ve been giving a number of my Mexican dishes a makeover. I’ve been removing the rice, trading out the tortilla shells and discovering that low-carb Mexican food is my absolute favorite type of food. In fact, just the other night, I made traditional tacos (with turkey) for my guys and was thrilled to discover that I could create Low-Carb Turkey Tacos with the same ingredients that are totally amazing.
These Low-Carb Turkey Tacos use the same ingredients as traditional tacos but switch out the tortilla shells for large pieces of fresh, leafy green lettuce. Here’s how to make them.
- 12 pieces Romaine lettuce (washed and dried)
- 1 pound of lean ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning
- ½ cup of water
- ½ cup of shredded Mexican cheese
- ¼ cup of sour cream
- ¼ cup of fresh pico de gallo
- ½ cup of guacamole
- Pull apart the lettuce leaves and wash and dry them.
- Cook the lean ground turkey in a pan until all visible pink is removed.
- Drain any excess grease (they won't be much).
- Add in the taco seasoning and water.
- Bring the water to a gentle boil, turn down the head and cook until all moisture has evaporated.
- Spoon two tablespoons of the seasoned ground turkey meat into each of the lettuce pieces.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese over the meat.
- Top with sour cream, pico de gallo and gaucamole.
These Low-Carb Turkey Tacos are so easy to make. To start, I pulled apart my pieces of Romaine lettuce and washed them and dried them. After they were completely dry, I set them in some taco trays.
Next, I added my lean ground turkey meat to a pan and cooked it until there was no pink left. After draining off any excess liquid (there won’t be much if you use 97% lean turkey meat) I mixed in my taco seasoning and water.
After bringing the liquid to a boil, a reduced the heat and allowed the meat to simmer until there was no liquid left. Then I simply spooned two tablespoons full of meat into each of the lettuce “shells”.
With my meat in place, I sprinkled my cheese over the top and finished by adding sour cream, pico de gallo and guacamole.
With such little effort, I had perfectly delicious Low-Carb Turkey Tacos that are ready to be enjoyed. Even better, THREE of these delicious tacos is only 6 net grams of carbs.
So the next time someone tells you that you can’t enjoy Taco Tuesday while living a low-carb lifestyle, prove them wrong with this easy and delicious recipe!