Truth: Christmas is all about cookies. I’m constantly getting invitations to cookie exchanges, cookie parties and cookie coffees. I’ll tell ya, it can make living the keto life kinda challenging. Most of you already know that I have a sweet tooth so when they are delicious looking cookies everywhere, my willpower really wavers. So, this year I decided to do things differently. Instead of throwing caution to the wind and choosing to push my Keto lifestyle till January, I decided I’d make my own keto cookies to take to all of the gatherings and exchanges. I thought I’d be able to come up with something good but let me tell you, I can up with something great! These Keto ShortbreadBars with Dark Chocolate and Walnuts are amazing delicious and are the perfect sweet treat for gifting or enjoying yourself.
Whether you’re living a Keto lifestyle, know someone who is or simple want a lower carb sweet treat to get you through the holiday season, I encourage you to try this easy recipe that’s seriously crazy delicious. Each bar (1/16th of the dish which is a pretty large serving) has just 6 net carbs (13 total carbs if you use that number for counting) and is so tasty! Here’s how to make them.
- 4 sticks of unsalted butter
- 1 cup of sifted Sverve Confectioner's Sugar
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 2 cups of almond flour
- 1 and ½ cups of coconut flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup of Lily's Dark Chocolate Chips
- 1 ounce of unsalted butter
- 1 cup of walnut pieces
- Add the softened butter and sifted confectioner's sugar to the bowl of your mixer.
- Add in the vanilla extract and cream the ingredients together until light and fluffy.
- Add in the almond flour and coconut flour slowly, mixing constantly.
- Once a thick dough has formed, transfer it to a greased glass baking dish and pat down evenly.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Add the dark chocolate chips and butter to a bowl and heat in the microwave in 30 second increments until almost completely melted.
- Stir well and pour over the shortbread bars.
- Drizzle walnut pieces on top and allow to set for one hour.
- Serve with coffee.
To start, I added by butter to the bowl of my mixer and then added in my sifted Sverve Confectioner’s Sugar. After adding in my vanilla extract, I creamed the ingredients together until they were fluffy.
Once my butter, sugar and vanilla extract were well combined, I sifted my almond flour and coconut flour into the bowl and added in a pinch of salt, mixing as I added the flours to form the dough.
Once I had a thick sticky dough, I transferred it into a greased glass baking pan and cooked my Keto Shortbread Bars for 40 minutes.
When my Keto Shortbread Bars came our of the oven, I set them aside and quickly added my chocolate chips and butter to a bowl and melted it in the microwave. To do this I used 30 second increments and stirred the ingredients in between. Once my chocolate was almost completely melted, I stirred it well and poured it over the top of my Keto Shortbread Bars.
As a final touch, I sprinkled on my walnut pieces because I love a little crunch in my cookies and set my bars aside to cool for an hour. Once the chocolate had set and the shortbread was cooled, my Keto Shortbread Bars with Dark Chocolate and Walnuts were ready to be cut.
I choose to cut these bars into 16 equal squares and really, I could have gone smaller and still been totally satisfied. This makes them perfect for eating immediately, storing in the refrigerator or added to a box for the perfect holiday gift.
I hope you will try these delicious Keto Shortbread Bars with Dark Chocolate and Walnuts this holiday season. Whether you make them for your family, gift them to friends or serve them at a holiday gathering, they are a great, low-carb way to make the holiday sweet.