With Valentine’s Day quickly approaching, the sweet little treats I’ve been whipping up in my home have taken on a decidedly red and pink theme. I’m a big believer in doing little things all month long to show my love so I’m always on the lookout for simple snacks that I can share with my kids, pack in my hubby’s lunch or send in to teachers just to let them know that they are loved, not only this time of year but all year long. For as long as I can remember, chocolate covered pretzels have been one of my favorite things. I mean, you just can’t go wrong with the sweet, salty crunchy combination. But this year, I decided instead of whipping up pretzel sticks, I’d use those adorable little square pretzel bites to create a sweet treat that turned out adorably cute! Here’s how to make your own Chocolate Covered Pretzel Squares for Valentine’s Day.
Before I show you how simple these Chocolate Covered Pretzel Squares are to make, let me just tell you that they are perfect for hands of all sizes and they don’t break like pretzel rods do. If you’re anything like me, you’ve sent in a beautiful pretzel rod gift at school and by the time it gets there (in your child’s bookbag), it’s in pieces. Not the case for these Chocolate Covered Pretzel Squares. Even better, you can grab them, eat them in one bite and savor the flavors simply! But perhaps the best part is, even with the hand piped heart, they are one of the easiest sweet treats to make while still looking perfectly impressive for Valentine’s Day gifting.
- 30 pretzel squares
- Candy melts in red, pink and white
- Valentine's day sprinkles
- Wax paper
- 3 piping bags
- Small piping tip
- Lay the pretzels out in a straight line with the sides of them close but not touching.
- Microwave the red candy melts for one minute and then stir until smooth.
- Pour the melted candy into a piping bag with a small tip and hand pine small hearts, filling in the inside with the melted candy.
- Sprinkle half the hearts with sprinkles and leave the other half plain.
- Melt the pink and white candy melts the same way you melted the red ones.
- Add them each to a piping bag with a small tip.
- Pipe lines of each color back and forth across all of the pretzels, covering the majority of each pretzel.
- Sprinkle half the pretzels with sprinkles while the candy is still warm.
- On the pretzels with sprinkles, use a small amount of the melted candy to attach the plain hearts.
- On the pretzels without sprinkles, use a small amount of the melted candy to attach the hearts with sprinkles.
- Allow the chocolate candy to cool completely.
These Chocolate Covered Pretzel Squares take less than 15 minutes to make and they are so adorable. To start, I laid out my pretzel squares in straight lines, placing them close together but not touching. Then I added my red candy melts to a cup and microwaved it for one minute. As soon as the candy melts were soft, I stirred them together until I got a smooth consistency.
Next, I repeated the process with my red and pink candy melts. Once all of my candy melts were smooth, I added them to piping bags with small piping tips. Using the pink and white candy melts, I piped messy lines across my pretzels, covering almost the entire surface of the pretzel squares. I added sprinkles to half of the pretzel squares and left half of them plain.
With my red candy melts, I piped small hearts by hand, filling in the inside of each heart with the melted chocolate. I then added sprinkles to half of the candy hearts and left the other half plain.
Once my candy hearts had hardened, I added a little of my melted chocolate to the back of each one and attached the ones with sprinkles to the plain pretzels and the ones without sprinkles to the pretzels that had sprinkles.
After allowing my Chocolate Covered Pretzel Squares to set for just a few minutes to harden, my sweet treat was complete.
I was then able to transfer them to baggies and boxes and package them up to save or share.
This sweet but simple Valentine’s Day treat is a perfect way to spread the love everyday. Whether you make them for an after school snack, as a teacher gift or even as a part of a fun date night, be sure to make your own Chocolate Covered Pretzel Squares for Valentine’s Day!