With Valentine’s Day just a few short weeks away, i’s time to start thinking about what sweet treats you’ll be serving up to your special someone. My hubby is absolute crazy about anything red velvet which is perfect at Valentine’s Day. That’s why these Red Velvet Donuts with Chocolate Ganache are a perfect dessert for him!
In my mind, homemade treats are the way to go when it comes to Valentine’s Day gifting. Nothing says I love you like a creation straight from your own kitchen and just because you go the homemade option doesn’t mean that coming up with a sweet treat has to be hard. In fact, there Red Velvet Donuts are super easy and totally decadent. Here’s how to make them:
- For the Donuts
- 1 and ¼ cups of flour
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of cocoa powder
- ¾ cup fos sugar
- ½ cup of whole milk
- ½ cup of canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons of red gel food coloring
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon of white vinegar
- For the Ganache
- 1 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup of heavy whipping cream
- Pink and white sprinkles for decorating (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a donut pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cocoa and sugar until well combined.
- Whisk in the milk, oil, egg, red food coloring, vanilla and vinegar and mix until smooth.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared donut pans, filling each mold ½ full.
- Bake the donuts for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool the donuts on a wire rack.
- While the donuts are cooling, heat the heavy cream in a small put until it's boiling slightly.
- Pour the chocolate chips into a bowl and pour the hot heavy whipping cream over them.
- Whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the chocolate ganache over the donuts.
- Sprinkle on Valentine's Day sprinkles.
- Allow the ganache and sprinkles to set for about 20 minutes prior to serving.
At the end of your baking efforts, you’ll have delicious, adorable donuts that have chocolaty flavor in every bite. Whether you whip up a half dozen as a gift or serve them at your Valentine’s Day celebration, trust me when I say that this is a sweet treat that’s perfect for anyone on your Valentine’s Day list.
This year, go the homemade route with this simple Red Velvet Donuts and Chocolate Ganache recipe and show your love by thrilling their tummy.