I am totally that mom that likes to have special breakfasts for special occasions. I like themed meals, color coordinated dishes and fun ways to incorporate food into my celebrations. With Valentine’s Day less than two weeks away, I’ve been thinking of what I’ll serve the kiddos for breakfast that morning. While I knew I wanted to go with a red or pink treat, I didn’t want to do the expected pancakes. Instead, I decided to whip up these easy and delicious Cream Cheese Pink Velvet Muffins that make the perfect Valentine’s Day breakfast.
These Cream Cheese Pink Velvet Muffins combine a basic muffin recipe, tangy cream cheese, streusel topping and a little color to create a breakfast treat that is loved by all. Here’s how to make them:
- For the Muffins
- 2 and ½ cups of flour
- 1 and ¼ cup of sugar
- 4 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ⅓ cup of sour cream
- ¼ cup of milk
- 2 teaspoons of pink gel food coloring
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 8 ounces of cream cheese
- For the Topping
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 374 degrees.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in your mixer.
- Add in the sour cream, food coloring, oil, milk and eggs and mix until the ingredients are just combined.
- Grease a muffin pan and fill each tin ¾ of the way full with the pink velvet muffin mixture.
- Cut cubes of cream cheese and push them gently down into the middle of the muffins.
- Add the topping ingredients to a pulse mixer and combine well.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly on the muffins.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool slightly before removing them from the pan.
- Enjoy immediately or freeze for later.
These Cream Cheese Pink Velvet Muffins are actually quite simple to make. To start, I added my flour, sugar, baking powder and salt to my mixer bowl and combined them. Then I simply whisked in my sour cream, oil, milk and eggs and combined them until a batter formed (don’t over mix!).
Once my batter was ready, I mixed in my pink food coloring and greased my muffin pan. Then I filled each tin of the muffin pan 3/4 of the way full with my pink velvet muffin batter.
Next, I needed to add the cream cheese. Sometimes I blend my cream cheese with sugar to make it sweeter but these muffins are pretty sweet so I decided to skip that step to achieve a balance between sweet and tangy. I simply cut my cream cheese into cubes and pushed a cube down into the middle of each muffin.
Next, I added my streusel ingredients to my pulse mixture and combined them well. Then I simply sprinkled the mixture evenly over the top of my muffins and popped them in the oven for 20-22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle came out clean.
Once my Cream Cheese Pink Velvet Muffins were cooked, I allowed them to cool before removing them from the tins. To remove them, I simply ran a knife around the outside of each muffin and them popped them out. Now they were ready to serve.
These adorable Cream Cheese Pink Velvet Muffins look as good as they taste. Inside each sweet muffin is tangy cream cheese with streusel topping to pull it all together.
I highly recommend that you give this perfect Valentine’s Day breakfast a try. Then let me know what you think in the comments.