When school was moved online for the rest of the year, one of the first things my youngest son did was ask if we could use the extra time at home to do more baking. Since changing to an online school routine amid the pandemic we’re currently experiencing, he’s been wanting to spend lots of time with me in the kitchen. For us, this has been a great things because, let’s just be honest, there’s been plenty of extra time to fill without extra-cirricular activities an playdates with friends. So, I’ve been making it a point to let him get creative and come up with what he wants to bake and then take the lead in making whatever his little heart desires. Being a 9-year old boy, of course cake is one of the most often requested creations but recently, he didn’t just want to make any cake, he wanted to make cookies and cream cake. After making sure we had the ingredients needed, I let him go through my cake pans to pick his favorite one and the end result was a Cookies and Cream Bundt Cake that is seriously so good you’ll want to make it weekly!
This Cookies and Cream Bundt Cake is a simple vanilla bundt cake with chunks of OREO cookies mixed into the batter. It’s then topped with a simple sugar glaze and finished with (of course) more OREO cookies. It’s an easy enough recipe for kids to make (with adult supervision of the baking portion of course) and it’s so dang good that you’ll actually be shocked. So, let me show you how to whip up this delicious creation with your kiddos today.
- For the Cake
- 3 sticks of softened butter
- 2 cups of sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 and ½ tablespoons of vanilla extract
- 3 cups of sifted flour
- 6 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 cup of whole milk
- 12 OREO cookies
- For the Glaze
- 3 cups of powdered sugar
- ¼ cup of milk
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Additional OREO cookies for topping
- Add the butter and sugar to your mixing bowl and beat together until fluffy.
- Add one egg at a time, mixing well after adding each egg.
- Pour in the vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Set the wet ingredients aside.
- In a second bowl, sift in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt.
- Pour half of the flour mixture into the wet ingredients in the mixing bowl and blend just long enough to combine.
- Pour in the milk and mix well.
- Add the remainder of the flour mixture and continue to mix until you have a thick, fluffy batter.
- Cut the OREO cookies into fourths and gently fold into the batter.
- Pour the batter into a greased bundt pan and gently tap the pan to help it settle.
- Immediately place the bundt cake into an oven preheated to 350 degrees and cook for 50-55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove the bundt cake from the oven and allow it to cool for 15-20 minutes in the pan.
- Invert the pan onto a cooking rack and cool the bundt cake the remainder of the way.
- Once the cake is cool, mix together the confectioner's sugar, milk and vanilla.
- Pour the mixture over the top of the bundt cake.
- Top with chopped OREO cookies and serve.
Like I mentioned, this Cookies and Cream Bundt Cake is so simple to make that even a child can whip it up with a very little supervision. To start the bundt cake, we added our softened butter and sugar to our mixer and whisked it together until it was light and fluffy.
Next, we added in one egg at a time, mixing each one until it was completely combined.
Our vanilla extract went in next and was mixed in and then we set the wet ingredients aside and started working on our dry ingredients. To do this, we sifted our flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt into a bowl and used a fork to combine the dry ingredients well.
Once our dry ingredients were ready, we poured half of the dry mixture into the butter mixture and mixed it just until combined. Then we added our milk while continuing to mix until we had a loose mixture.
After pouring in the rest of our dry ingredients, we continued to mix the cookies and cream bundt cake batter until it was light and fluffy.
With our basic bundt cake batter ready, we chopped our OREO cookies into fourths and gently folded them into the batter.
After greasing our bundt cake pan, we poured in the prepared batter and gently tapped the sides of the pan to help it settle.
Into the oven our Cookies and Cream Bundt Cake went on 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes. I baked ours closer to 55 minutes and should have taken it out just a little sooner. I recommend starting to check the middle with a toothpick around the 50 minute mark and once the toothpick comes out clean, remove the bundt cake from the oven. We then allowed the cake to cool for about 15-20 minutes in the bundt pan and then inverted it onto or platter to cool the remainder of the way.
Once our Cookies and Cream Bundt Cake was cool, we mixed together the confectioner’s sugar, milk and vanilla extract and immediately poured it over the top of the cake.
After roughly chopping some more OREO cookies, we sprinkled those over the top and our impressive Cookies and Cream Bundt Cake was complete.
Not only was the fluffy, delicious cake filled with bursts of sweet cookies but the middle served as a reservior to trap the glaze and the extra cookies so that there was plenty of flavor in every piece we served up.
I am telling you guys, this cake was delicious! Every single piece was full of flavor and was perfectly moist.
And truthfully, the best part for me was how proud my little guy was of the fact that he’s learning to cook in such a fun and delicious way.
Whether you’re looking for a tasty dessert, a dish that’s simple enough for your kids to make or just a sweet way to celebrate the middle of the week, we highly recommend that you give this easy and delicious recipe a try!