Over the last few months we have of course been eating more at home. Since some of my standard go-to meals have gotten a little old, I’ve been trying to think outside the box and create delicious dishes that are low in carbs (for my Keto lifestyle) but tasty enough that my entire family enjoys eating them. To do this, I’ve gotten a little bit away from the basic meat and veggies and found ways to add sauces and depth of flavors that make simple meals delicious. While I’ve found quite a few ways to spice of some of my favorite proteins, the one meal that I can’t get enough of right now is my Grilled Cabbage Steaks with Pork Medallions. This easy dish comes together in minutes and tops slightly charred purple cabbage with juicy pork medallions topped with a simple mustard sauce, blue cheese and scallions. Y’all, it’s a party in my mouth and it’s seriously one of the most crave worthy dishes on my weekly meal plan. Let’s make it!
The principle of this low carb dish is very simple. It’s just taking basic ingredients and combining them in a way that is beyond satisfying. Here’s how I bring it all together.
- 2 medium pork tenderlions
- 1 large head of purple cabbage
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons of stone ground mustard
- ¼ cup of crumbled blue cheese
- Diced scallions for topping
- Rub the pork tenderloins in half of the olive oil and salt and pepper generously.
- Cut the purple cabbage into one inch thick steaks.
- Brush the remainder of the olive oil on both sides of the cabbage steaks and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the pork tenderloins on a grill at 450 degrees and grill each side for 10-15 minutes, until the internal temperature is around 145 degrees.
- Remove the pork from the heat and allow it to rest.
- While the pork is resting, place the cabbage steaks on the grill at cook for 5 minutes on each side at 450 degrees.
- Once the cabbage steaks are cooked through and the outsides are slightly charred, remove them from the grill.
- Place one cabbage steak on each plate.
- Slice the pork tenderloin into one inch thick medallions.
- Place 2-3 of the pork medallions on top of each piece of cabbage.
- Mix together the mayonnaise and stone ground mustard and drizzle it over the pork.
- Sprinkle the blue cheese and scallions on the top.
- Serve immediately.
This meal is a simple prep and grill meal and uses very simple ingredients. To start, I rubbed each of my pork tenderloins with olive oil and seasoned them with salt and pepper. Then I sliced my purple cabbage into one inch thick “steaks”. I used the remainder of my olive oil to brush both sides of the cabbage steaks and then seasoned them with salt and pepper as well. Once my main ingredients were prepped, I had the hubs preheat the grill to 450 degrees. Then we cooked the pork tenderloins for 10-15 minutes per side, until they reached an internal temperature of about 145 degrees.
Once we had the temperature we wanted on the pork tenderloins, we removed them from the heal and allowed them to rest as they finished cooking. While the tenderloins were resting, he placed the cabbage steaks on the grill and cooked them for 5 minutes per side at 450 degrees. The goal was to cook them until the cabbage was soft in the middle and slightly charred on the outside.
With the cabbage and pork cooked, bringing these Gilled Cabbage Steaks with Pork Medallions together was so easy. I simply placed a cabbage steak on each plate and then cut the pork tenderloin into one inch thick medallions. I then placed 2-3 medallions on each of the cabbage steaks.
I knew that I needed a sauce and some punches of flavor to pull everything together so I quickly mixed together my mayonnaise and stone ground mustard and drizzled it over the top. Then I finished my dish with a sprinkle of blue cheese and some scallions.
Let me tell you guys, this flavor combination is perfect! Every single bite of my Grilled Cabbage Steaks with Pork Medallions has the crunch of cabbage, the tender juiciness of pork and the punch of toppings that makes it perfect.
These Grilled Cabbage Steaks with Pork Medallions are simple, low carb and a great way to mix up weeknight dinners or present something simply fantastic for a special occasion. Add them to your weekly meal plan today!