I’ve never been the type to really start celebrating Christmas before Thanksgiving even arrives but, well, this year is just different. Everything about 2020 feels like it’s been turned on it’s head, including out holiday plans. We have never been home on Thanksgiving but this year, we’re hunkered down trying to stay safe. So, it only made sense to go ahead and add a little joy to our odd plans by putting up the Christmas decorations and doing a little holiday baking. Of course we’ll still have our big Thanksgiving meal this week but for the most part, I’m ready to bring some Christmas joy into our home and really start getting into the holiday spirit. In addition to putting up the lights (ya’ll, you can probably see our house from space!) that has meant coming up with fun recipes. I’ll be honest when I say I’m keeping things simple this year but my kiddos still want our creations to look over-the-top impressive. That’s why I combined easy with festive in the best way to create this Easy Layered Christmas Cake that can be made from a box mix with just a few simple adjustments (I kid you not!) and if ready in a snap! Read on to learn how to make this fun cake that everyone will love this holiday season!
The term “layers of sweet goodness” can’t even begin to describe this Easy Layered Christmas Cake and the best part it, it’s SO crazy easy to make. With a box of cake mix, a little pudding, some heavy whipping cream and whatever decorations you have in your pantry, very little planning or time in the kitchen goes into whipping up this delightfully festive creation.
- 1 box of red velvet cake mix
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup of water
- ¼ cup of oil
- 2 tablespoons of sour cream
- 1 small box of vanilla pudding
- 2 small boxes of cheesecake pudding
- 4 cups of milk
- 2 cups of heavy whipping cream
- Green food coloring
- Sprinkles and white chocolate chips for garnish
- Combine the red velvet cake mix, eggs, oil, water, sour cream and vanilla pudding.
- Pour into a greased baking dish and cook according to the directions on the box.
- Once the cake is cooked (it will still be slightly jiggly in the middle but a toothpick inserted will come out clean), chill the cake in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Once the cake is cool, whip together the two boxes of cheesecake pudding and the milk until they begin to thicken.
- Spread the cheesecake pudding over the top of the cake.
- Add the heavy whipping cream to the stand mixer and whip until peaks begin to form.
- Add in the green food coloring and combine.
- Spread the green whipped cream over the cheesecake pudding layer.
- Top with sprinkles and white chocolate chips and serve immediately or refrigerate.
This Easy Layered Christmas Cake tastes homemade but actually uses a simple box mix with a few additions. To make the cake, add the red velvet cake mix, eggs, oil, water, sour cream and vanilla pudding to a bowl and combine all the ingredients well. I love that the addition of the sour cream and pudding transform this box mix into a cake that tastes like it was made from scratch. Once all the ingredients are combined and there are no lumps, add the cake to a greased baking dish and cook according to the directions on the box (note: the sour cream and pudding may require additional baking time so test the middle with a toothpick and add ten minutes if needed). Once the cake it cooked, remove it from the oven and cool it in the refrigerator for one hour. Once the cake is cool, whip together the two boxes of cheesecake pudding and four cups of milk until they begin to thicken. Then spread the cheesecake pudding mixture over the top of the cooled cake.
Now, I’m sure you’re already seeing how awesome this Easy Layered Christmas Cake is going to be right? You’ve got moist, delicious red velvet cake and tangy cheesecake pudding. To finish the cake, whip the heavy whipping cream until peaks begin to form. Then add in the green food coloring and combine it well. Once the whipped cream is ready, spread it over the layer of cheesecake pudding. Finally, add some sprinkles and white chocolate chips (or any other festive decor you might have on hand) to the top of the Easy Layered Christmas Cake.
That’s it! This Easy Layered Christmas Cake is now ready to be served and it’s so festive and fun!
You can either serve it immediately or chill it (this helps the pudding layer to really set up) until you’re feeling festive. Either way, what you end up with is a delicious cake that pairs a perfectly moist red velvet base with a cheesecake middle and whipped cream top.
And when you serve it up, everyone will feel festive seeing the layers of Christmas magic that were so easy to create.
So get baking (the simple way) and whip up this Easy Layered Christmas Cake to enjoy all season long.