Over the holiday season I’ve been giving many of my traditional recipes a low-carb twist. I’ve been making substitutions and trying out switches that take classic dishes and turn them into Keto perfection. One of my most requested dishes all year long is my Loaded Potato Salad (you can find the original recipe here) but since I obviously don’t eat potatoes anymore, I wanted to turn this dish on it’s head and create a version that fit right in with my Keto lifestyle while still boasting all those big flavors that this favorite recipe deliver. Whether it’s for a summer cookout, a side at holiday celebrations or simply to satisfy a craving in the way only potato salad can, this Loaded Cauliflower “Potato” Salad recipe is a tried-and-true favorite that is sure to satisfy. Here’s how to make it!
This Loaded Califlower “Potato” Salad is made much the same way a traditional potato salad is made but the secret to making it really deliver in a big way is sauteing the cauliflower prior to mixing it all together. I’ve seen many cauliflower potato salad recipes that boil the cauliflower and personally, I don’t like the mushy texture. Instead, I follow this simple recipe.
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 4 slices of cooked bacon
- ½ cup of shredded gouda cheese
- ¼ cup of diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon of bacon grease (reserved from cooking the bacon)
- ¼ cup of Avocado Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon of spicy mustard
- ¼ teaspoon of calorie free granular sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ cup of diced green onion
- Cut the cauliflower into bite sized pieces and saute on medium heat for 7-10 minutes, until tender.
- Place the cauliflower in a bowl and cool it for an hour.
- Cook and drain the bacon (reserving the grease).
- Add the crumbled bacon, shredded cheese and diced red onions to the bowl with the cooked cauliflower.
- Add one tablespoon of bacon grease to a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add in the mayonnaise, spicy mustard, sugar substitute and salt.
- Warm the mixture, stirring constantly, until it becomes liquid.
- Pour the mixture over the cauliflower, bacon, cheese and onions.
- Stir well.
- Chill for at least one hour.
- Garnish with the green onions and serve immediately.
If you’ve ever made my Loaded Potato Salad, you already know how easy this dish is and it’s made even simpler by the fact that no peeling or slicing of potatoes is required. Instead, I simply start by washing my head of cauliflower and cutting it up into bite sized pieces.
Once my cauliflower is cut up, I add it to a saute pan and cook it for 7-10 minutes, until the cauliflower has softened but is still slightly crunchy. Once my cauliflower is cooked, I transfer it to a bowl and chill it for about an hour. While the cauliflower is chilling, I cook my bacon, reserving some of the grease for my sauce. With the bacon cooked, I crumble it into my cauliflower along with my shredded gouda cheese and diced red onion.
Now that I have my basic ingredients together, all I need is my sauce to complete this awesome Loaded Cauliflower “Potato” Salad recipe. To make my creamy sauce, I add a tablespoon of my reserved bacon grease back into a sauce pan over medium heat. Then I add in my mayonnaise, spicy mustard, sugar substitute and salt and stir them constantly while heating until they have combined well and my sauce is a thick-ish liquid consistency.
Once my sauce is ready, I simple pour it over the top of the cauliflower, bacon, cheese and red onions and toss it all together. I personally like to chill the Loaded Cauliflower “Potato” Salad once it’s combined to really let the flavor marinate (about an hour is all you need). When I’m ready to serve this tasty dish, I sprinkle my diced green onions over the top and it’s seriously perfection.
This Loaded Cauliflower “Potato” Salad is a perfect guilt free side and it really delivers big when it comes to craving potato salad but wanting to stay on track with my low-carb lifestyle. Give it a try at your next cookout, holiday celebration or weeknight meal and enjoy!