You guys, I know it’s not officially fall yet but the weather has been cooler around here and so I have jumped on the pumpkin train. Yes, I may be hanging my head in shame just a little bit because it is early but I think that just means there is more time to enjoy all the delicious pumpkin goodness. That’s why I decided to share with all of you an easy pumpkin pasta sauce with nutmeg and cinnamon recipe that boasts your favorite pasta variety topped thick and creamy pumpkin pasta sauce. It’s seriously a meal you can enjoy form now till, well, next fall! Read on to learn how to make this easy Pumpkin Pasta sauce with nutmeg and cinnamon.
If you’re like me, you might just be crazy about all thing pumpkin….and that love of pumpkin does extend to pasta. Now if you’re shaking your head or thinking pumpkin and pasta just don’t go together, it’s OK. I’ve turned skeptics before and I can do it again with this easy pumpkin pasta sauce recipe. So, instead of telling you why you’ll love it, let’s just make it!
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 2 tablespoons white flour
- 1 ¼ cups pumpkin puree
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup shaved parmesan
- 1 box pasta variety of choice
- Boil your favorite pasta variety according to package directions.
- While the pasta is boiling, add olive oil and garlic in a saucepan over low/medium heat.
- Cook for 1 minute, stirring.
- Add butter and continue to cook until melted.
- Next, add flour.
- Stir with a whisk for 30 seconds.
- Add pumpkin puree, heavy cream, salt, pepper, parsley, nutmeg, cinnamon and parmesan.
- Turn up heat to medium, whisking constantly until lumps disappear, if any, about 30 seconds.
- Cook for 1 minute stirring occasionally.
- Serve over your favorite pasta topped with shaved parmesan and roasted pepitas.
- Store extra sauce in a container with a tight-fitting lid in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- It will thicken when cooled, so reheat in microwave or on the stove with a splash of milk, if needed.
This easy pumpkin pasta sauce with nutmeg and cinnamon is so quick and easy to make and it’s totally satisfying during the cool fall months. Even better you can pair it with your favorite pasta variety so grab whatever you have in the cabinet, start boiling some water to cook the pasta according to the directions on the box and then start your pumpkin pasta sauce by adding the olive oil and garlic to a saucepan over low/medium heat.
Cook the garlic in the olive oil for about one minute and then immediately add in the butter and allow it to melt. Next, add in the flour and whisk for about 30 seconds to create a roux.
Once you’ve got a roux, mix in the pumpkin puree, heavy cream, salt, pepper, parsley, nutmeg, cinnamon and paremsan. Turn up the heat to medium and whisk all the ingredients together until any lumps disappear.
Cook for one more minute over medium heat and them remove from the heat and spoon the pumpkin pasta sauce over the top of your prepared pasta.
Top with shaved paremsan and roasted pepitas for a little extra crunch and enjoy!
As a side note, if you want to make this easy pumpkin pasta sauce with nutmeg and cinnamon in batches so you can enjoy it all fall long, simple double the recipe, store extra sauce in a container with a tight-fitting lid and keep in in the refrigerator for up to two days or freeze to keep it for longer. Do keep in mind that this sauce will thicken when cooled so add a splash of milk or cream when you reheat it!
Now tell me, who do you know that’s ready to break out the pumpkin (pasta sauce that is) and embrace fall?